Sunday, November 13, 2011

Napili Shores in Maui

Napili Shores, Maui

Our vacation in Maui last month was restful and relaxing.  Unfortunately, I broke my foot a week before our vacation, so we had to slightly adjust our plans to accomodate for my temporary disability.  The Jones fracture I sustained was a clean break on the fifth metatarsal of my right foot.  Luckily, no surgery was required; I just needed a lace-up ankle brace and hot/cold treatment to promote healing of the bone fracture.  We were really impressed with LAX and Maui airports' wheelchair accomodations; we were quickly whisked to the front of the TSA line; however, I did have to go through full body patdown since I couldn't walk through the regular scanner.

We rented a wheelchair upon arrival in Maui, and Kurt was so wonderful about taking me everywhere including shopping, restaurants, evening sunset watching, and daily trips to the swimming pool and jacuzzi.  I took two books (The Kite Runner and Pretty Birds) and two knitting projects (Amiga and Leaf Lace Shawl).  Memorable foods on this vacation included Fried Rice from The Gazebo (rice with Portugese sausage, bacon, Maui onions, green onions, diced purple cabbage, and scrambled eggs), French Toast and Moco Loco from The Seahouse, Mai Tais and Coconut Shrimp from Cheeseburger in Paradise, and Meadow Gold POG for breakfast everyday.

Leaf Lace Shawl
I mostly worked on the Leaf Lace Shawl during our week in Maui so it's near completion...I'm halfway through the Edging Lace chart, so eight more rows and I can bind off.  I charted in Excel the main body repeat of the Leaf Lace Shawl pattern and printed it out so it would be easy to work on while on the plane and while on vacation (see photo above).  It worked out so well, I'd highly recommend this for any travel knitting with charts.  No plans to incorporate beads on the edging.  The yarn I chose for this project is Madelinetosh Pashmina in Baltic, a dark rich shade of blue.  Finished project photos coming soon.

1 comment:

Jeannine-NeenerKnits said...

I love Napili beach....aah...lovely shawl also.